Friday, November 10, 2017

Using the Charts

I recommend printing the charts on cardstock.  They lay better on the board and are more durable for repeated use.  Printable handbell charts save you the work of making charts yourself, and they're easy to transport and store.  Each chart comes with diagram showing how the pages should be laid out on the board with magnets to create the full chart. For example:
Layout diagram for I Will Follow God's Plan


The printed chart with the sheets laid out according to the layout diagram. This is laid out on the floor.  On the board there would be magnets holding them up.

When you read the chart you follow the each line across all the pages.  For example, in the picture above, you follow the top line across all three pages. Then you go down to the second line and follow it across all 3 pages and so on.  I recommend getting a retractable pointer to point at the notes as you go to help the kid know when to play.

5 comments:

  1. How do you display these papers? do you use magnets and put them on the chalkboard?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good question. Yes, I do put up the pages using magnets. I just realized the picture I put up of the chart is the chart laid out on the floor, hence the lack of magnets. I've updated the blog post to with this information and will try to get a picture of the chart on the board, which would be more representative. Thanks for asking!

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for all of your hard work! I was sad when Handbell Heaven met its demise and it didn't have many of the songs I need for the program. These are great and easily printed large enough for the kids to all see!! You have saved me hours writing them all out on poster board with markers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have step by step instructions on how to compose handbell music for kids? What is the difference of the chord or melody type of music?

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paula, sorry, I don't have any instructions for composing the charts. I usually try to go with the notes for the melody line. The kids really enjoy hearing and recognizing the song as they play. That works well for simple songs. For more complicated songs I will generally go with notes from the bass or tenor line. It really varies form song to song. It mainly depends on what I think will be the most fun for the kids to play.

      Delete